Friday, October 8, 2010

My Running Extravaganza

My end of summer "Running Extravaganza" started with the Top of Utah Half Marathon! It was a great run! I just wanted to beat my time from last fall, and I did!!! I don't know why I caught the running bug this summer, but it is something I have enjoyed and needed. I'm running soooo fast....can you see me?????
At the finish line with Ben and Molly. Ben didn't even break a sweat!!!!
My summer running partner and friend, Jill. We trained for this all summer and finished!! Check mark off of our bucket lists.

Next up -- the Red Rock Relay in St. George! I love relay races and I am addicted to the RAGNAR. This was the same concept, different place. We started in Brianhead and ended in Zions National Park. Couldn't ask for prettier scenery, plus I got to run with Carrie and have mom and Jenny to cheer us on!
Ready, set, go! Our first runner had to ride the chair lift to the top and then run down. I was runner number two and picked up at the bottom.

I have a smile on my face now, but it doesn't last long...this leg was harrrrd. It was called "The Diablo" and didn't let the name down! It was four miles, straight up for an elevation gain of 800ft at 10,500 feet. Whew..couldn't breathe. But now--I am the "Diablo Destroyer"!!!
Carrie - rip, roarin' and ready to go! Waiting at the exchange for me to come sprintin' in as fast as I can.
Had to throw a scenic shot in since it was soooo beautiful!!!!!!!Whew! We made it through our first legs and still alive!!! We had to mark our shoulders with a marker each time we finished running a leg. Kind of fun....

My last leg was running down into Snow Canyon (that's me in the distance) just as the sun was coming up. It was so pretty I got choked up and a tear may have run down my cheek....

We are at the end of Carrie's last leg, the bottom of Snow Canyon. Jenny and mom were there to cheer us on. It's always fun to have people to cheer you on.
We're done!! We have run through the finish line and finished the Red Rock Relay! We loved it and got to make some new friends. It's hard not to make friends when you are living in a car together for two days. So much fun - and hopefully now you can see why I have caught the running bug. Now I am trying to keep in shape and be ready for next year!
Team Runs Like a Girl - Red Rock Relay 2010

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I've been waiting for this post! That is SOOOO cool! I am a huge fan of the RRR. It looks like you had so much fun. The pictures are awesome. I love that you did the DIABLO! That is super impressive. :D
Keep spreading the running bug--it's the best!

jami v. said...

wow!!! i guess, if you have to catch some kind of "bug" then a running one isn't all bad! :) you guys are my hero! woot-woo to you two!!!!